Wednesday, November 08, 2006

MDR's Midweek Mutiny: Ian

Editor's Note: This was written by Ian Glinka from DC's Middle Distance Runner. This is part of a series of posts that they are writing today. Continue to the bottom, to link to the rest.



I'm Ian -- bass player for Middle Distance Runner. Like most people, I hate things and I love things. Because this is a music blog, I was forced to can my original idea of just talking about how much the original Maniac Mansion computer game kicked ass.

Instead, I figured I'd list a bunch of things I hate and love about music and then the name of the most appropriate song to go with those feelings. This is a fun game that I just made up, and now I'm going to play it with myself.

1. I hate the Rolling Stones because of what they did to The Verve.
The Verve - Bittersweet Symphony

2. I hate Oasis for having all but disowned their third (and best) studio album, Be Here Now.
Oasis - D'You Know What I Mean

3. I hate the fact that nobody seems to regard Kent as one of the greatest bands of all time.
Kent - Bianca

4. I love the Super Furry Animals for recording The Undefeated.
Super Furry Animals - The Undefeated

5. I love it when the ends of Blur songs remind me of Nintendo games, even though they don't sound anything like a Nintendo.
Blur - Beetlebum

6. I love it that when I was 10 years old, the best thing I'd ever heard was on a George Harrison seven inch.
George Harrison - When We Was Fab

7. I love it that I'm in the band Middle Distance Runner and we recorded a song that let my bass sound like the bass from Oasis's Go Let It Out.
Middle Distance Runner - That's a Lie

8. I love it that the first CD I ever bought in my life, was Garbage's self titled album.
Garbage - My Lover's Box

9. I hate it that I got into a car accident on the way to a Radiohead concert.
Radiohead - Climbing Up The Walls

10. I hate it when the best song Oasis has ever recorded ends up as a B-Side to a single from an album that the band hates and pretends they never recorded.
Oasis - Flashbax

That's it, folks. Love it or hate it.

Ian


Check out the rest of MDR's Mutiny:
Intro
Choose Your Own Adventure Extravaganza
Ian's Loves and Hates
Stephen's Lyricists
Contest


Previous Versions of The Midweek Mutiny:
What Is This?
Faster Faster Harder Harder
Saturna
Low Red Land
Can Joann

4 Comments:

Blogger Paul said...

Right there with you on "Be Here Now" and "Flashbax." Killer stuff from a killer time. Come on, "The Girl in the Dirty Shirt" is still one of their top 5 tracks.

Wednesday, November 08, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oasis should disown everything that came after "Be Here Now," but that album was pretty decent. And Kent, my god, Kent. Great stuff.

Wednesday, November 08, 2006  
Blogger Jaded Lens said...

Good call on Super Furry Animals, but I'm partial to "Rings Around the World." The Kent song ain't bad neither.

Thursday, November 09, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the Kent song. My brother just turned me onto them.

Never heard of them till today...

Sunday, December 03, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home