Thursday, October 05, 2006

Throwback Thursday: The Clash


For this week's Throwback, I chose to go with one of the most unique bands of all time. My pick is first wave British punk rockers, The Clash. I call them unique, because they sounded like an entirely different band by the end of their career. The angry punk that they started with in 1976, had meshed with elements of reggae, ska, rockabilly and dance music. By the time Mick Jones parted ways with the group in 1983, their music had more in common with bands like The Cars than it did with the Sex Pistols. Their evolution made for a unique career and produced one of the best albums of all time, London Calling. I will leave you with select tracks from several of their albums. It is fascinating to hear how their sound evolved over such a short period of time.

The Clash
White Riot
London's Burning
I Fought the Law

Give 'Em Enough Rope
Safe European Home
Tommy Gun

London Calling
London Calling
Rudie Can't Fail
Train In Vain

Super Black Market Clash
Bankrobber
This is Radio Clash

Combat Rock
Should I Stay or Should I Go?
Rock the Casbah

This video reminded me of why I fell in love with punk as a teen...

The Clash - London's Burning


Past Throwbacks:
09/28/06: The Smiths
09/21/06: A Tribe Called Quest
09/14/06: R.E.M.
09/07/06: The Cure
08/31/06: Morphine
08/24/06: The Lemonheads
08/17/06: Depeche Mode
08/10/06: New Order

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home