Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Low Red Land's Midweek Mutiny: Mark

Editor's Note: This post was written by Mark DeVito of San Francisco's Low Red Land. It is part of a series of posts that the band will be writing for the site today. At the bottom of the page, you can find the links to the rest.


My name is Mark, and I play drums in Low Red Land. I am lucky to have the opportunity to do what I love with people I love. I have three major goals. The first is to perform on Saturday Night Live. I have always really wanted to do that, and hopefully it will happen someday. The second is to get invited to the Playboy Mansion. I don't mean through some crappy "You've won a trip to the Playboy Mansion courtesy of Sparks" type thing. I want Hugh himself to invite me to a party. Then I want to turn the invitation down. That would be sweet. My third goal is to get my face on a billboard. I just think that would be hilarious.

The first album I ever got was the Young Guns II soundtrack. Holy crap, that was amazing. Then I got MC Hammer's Please Hammer Don't Hurt 'Em along with the video, which has the greatest line I think I have ever heard, "Oh! The Hammer!" You have to see the film to know what I am talking about. Basically, I listened to really bad music for quite a while.

I am over that now. What I get into is real high energy music. I think that my favorite album is Les Savy Fav's Go Forth. I am a drummer, so I can't really talk about the musical merits of the album. I can say that they f'ing rip it up to the max. Their drummer flirts with dance beats, but not in the typical Franz Ferdinand generic way. It is a very innovative and explosive style of drumming, that has inspired me to hear different beats in songs. I hear they put on a really good show as well. I would love to go see them, and you should too.

Les Savy Fav - Tragic Monsters


One of my favorite bands that I have seen live, is called Appomattox. I met James, the drummer, when we worked together at a restaurant in Cambridge, Mass. He is hilarious and one of the best drummers that I know. Their music is reminiscent of Les Savy Fav in the fact that the energy levels are super high and they make a lot of noise. I think they were the first trio I saw, that made me realize a three piece can be far more powerful than a four piece. They recently moved from Boston to Brooklyn. We are playing a few shows with them on the east coast. I am very excited about that. I think they are going to be huge. Everybody should go check them out before they blow up.

Appomattox - We're Alright


Here are some things I have been listening to recently. They are all real good, although very different from what we play.

Boris - Pink
Blonde Redhead - A Cure
A.R.E. Weapons - Don't Be Scared
John Vanderslice - Up Above The Sea

When I am not drumming, I like to cook and eat. In particluar, Italian food. I make a pretty mean lasagne, with at least four meats and five cheeses. Soon, I think I can up the meat-count to seven meats. Then I'll take over the world.

I really enjoy tattoos. Since moving to San Francisco, I have seen some of the most amazing artwork done on people's bodies. I was suprised to find that so many people out here are covered in bright colors, black and white portraits, and overall beautiful work. Granted there are always bad tattoos, but I think SF has some of the best. It may have something to do with the tremendous amount of talented artists out here. It may be that people in general are much less judgmental here. Whatever it is, the ink in SF rocks. I would really enjoy seeing some Low Red Land tattoos. So much that if anybody anywhere gets one, I will pay for it. And that is no joke. Just send me the picture, or show me in person.

We are about to leave on a seven week tour of the United States. Hopefully we can run into a few of you out there. It will be a blast.


Read The Rest of This Week's Mutiny:
Joe's Introduction
Band Intro
Ben
Mark
Neil
Contest

Previous Versions of The Midweek Mutiny:
What Is This?
Faster Faster Harder Harder
Saturna

1 Comments:

Blogger Tiffany said...

Hey, met you at the kyte office the other day ;) Thanks for the CD's. I'll make sure to stay tuned to http://www.kyte.tv/ch/37026-lowredland ;)

Sunday, March 02, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home