Friday, October 31, 2008

This Week's Mix

So at the suggestion of my roommates, I went ahead and uploaded the new version of iTunes for the Genius Playlist feature. I decided to give it a try and see what it could do. I based it on Anthem In's "Down" and posted the results below. The list has links for the songs I could get away with posting among the full 25 song list.

Anthem In - Down
Grizzly Bear - Knife (Covered by CSS)
The Republic Tigers - Fight Song
Mew - The Zookeeper's Boy
VHS Or Beta - Can't Believe A Single Word
Pinback - Good To Sea
Foals - Olympic Airways
Bell X1 - Rocky Took A Lover
Built To Spill - Liar
Someone Still Loves You Boris Yeltsin - Oregon Girl
Sigur Ros - Hljomalind
The Hold Steady - Stuck Between Stations
Rilo Kiley - Close Call
The National - Secret Meeting
Margot & The Nuclear So And So's - Skeleton Key
Phoenix - Consolation Prizes
Interpol - Public Pervert
Yeasayer - 2080
Someone Still Loves You Boris Yeltsin - Modern Mystery
Mates Of State - Get Better
Minus The Bear - Burying Luck
Rogue Wave - Like I Needed
Low vs. Diamond - Don't Forget Sister
Minipop - Like I Do
The Broken West - Hale Sunrise

In my opinion, it seemed to do a fairly decent job. It did choose two songs by the same artist, but it made a couple of interesting transitions. It also picked a few of very well known songs from artists, but overall seemed to stretch out what songs to choose. It didn't venture very far outside of the indie rock genre, which is my one big drawback with it. Overall, I'd rate it a B- as playlist making goes, but bearing in mind that a mere program chooses the songs, it seems pretty good. Just goes to show you that a human with a good ear and lots of great music still rules over all, so no need to worry about people getting replaced wherever good music needs to be shared with the public.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home