Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Comparisons


The vast majority of emails we get at IA, pushing various bands, like to compare said act with someone else, typically somebody with a higher profile. Personally, I like the touch, as I'm pretty sure I have no desire to hear anyone that sounds like "an indie Yanni" or "a harder version of David Hasselhoff." By making these comparisons, a lot of crap is filtered for me right off the bat. Fortunately, it works the other way, too. If you sound like somebody I already dig, odds are I'll at least give you a listen.

So when the PR flaks for Montreal's Duchess Says came forward pimping their debut full-length, Anthologie des 3 Perchoirs , I was instantly pleased when names like the Kills and the Gossip were dropped. The good news is that the comparisons are pretty spot on. The bad news, for me at least, is that we're talking Standing in the Way of Control Gossip and Midnight Boom Kills, not their earlier, bluesier stuff. Oh well.

If angry, loud, electro-tinged nu-punk is your thing, I'm fairly confident you'll dig Duchess Says. Fronted by a frequently screaming Annie-C, the immediate comparisons are the Yeah Yeah Yeahs and The Noisettes. As for me, I'll keep searching.

mp3: Ccut Up

Labels:

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

cool production on this...the crunchy
cords are cool

Tuesday, July 29, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home