Saturday, July 05, 2008

All Hail Jex Thoth


“We consider ourselves an alchemic doom band," opines the voice (and namesake) of Jex Thoth. Normally statements such as this cause me to flash-back to Nigel Tufnell and little men dancing round stonehenge... HOWEVER... no such giggle inducing scenery popped into my head this time. I attribute this to:

1) ummm... the woman's holding an axe, I'm going to say nice things about her

and

2) I took one listen to "When the Raven Calls," the band's cover of a cult favorite by little known singer-songwriter Bobb Trimble, and was blown away by the combination of sludgy psychadelia, folk lyricism and Thoth's voice, which really does sound like the second coming of Janis Joplin, after she listened to a ton of Kyuss albums.

Check out their self-titled album and fall under Thoth's spell.

mp3: When the Raven Calls

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home