Monday, June 23, 2008

Clear as Teen Spirit


When I saw the introductory line for Love Psychedelico, I had high hopes and an instant aural image. "100% pure rock n roll, made in Japan." Kick ass, thought I. Someone has come along to carry the Guitar Wolf banner. Since the death of Bass Wolf, the world has been sorely lacking any good Japanese punk/rockabilly/noise rock. I'm sad to report that LP is not here to further that sound, but I am pleased to say what they do bring to the table ain't too shabby at all. Think DC's Exit Clov and you'll be pretty close to what we've got here.

While calling their sound "100% pure rock n roll" might be a bit of a stretch, the band does create some fairly formidable indie pop. On their first single, "Standing Bird," you've got your driving synth and guitar lines, but there's nothing really balls to the walls here.

Of particular note to my twisted ear is the fact that damn near all the vocals are unintelligible. If this were a case of poor English or heavy accents, that would be one thing. However, that does not appear to be the case here. The chorus is pretty clear, but I have no idea whatsoever the lead singer is singing during the verses. It could be something about severe denim with bottomed out fatwahs, but I'm guessing that's probably not right. Either way, it's an enjoyable listen.

mp3: Standing Bird

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

The lyrics are half Japanese/half English. That's why its hard to understand.

Friday, April 10, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home