Friday, June 27, 2008

Bueller? Bueller?


Apparently, no one in ism has seen Ferris Bueller's Day Off. If they had, they probably would have opted for a different name. As Matthew Broderick's character put it in the movie, "Ism's, in my opinion, are not good. A person should not believe in an -ism, he should believe in himself." And if you're not going to listen to the words of such a luminary, should you really be taking your message to the world?

That's probably a discussion for another post, so let's focus on this ism for the time being, shall we?

I can't quite put my finger on it, but there's something distinctly '80s sounding about their single, "Sacred Cows." It could well be that lead singer Andre Mistier's voice sounds a whole lot like a toss-up between Simple Minds' Jim Kerr and INXS' Michael Hutchence. Or it could be the blasting, spaced out effects on Leigh Battle's bass which create a keyboard-sounding line of attack. Perchance, it has something to do with the fact that lead guitarist Gerard Toriello is a self-professed "not-so-secret ‘80s metalhead." Maybe I'm just hung up on the whole Ferris Bueller thing. Listen and decide for yourself.

On August 5, 2008, STM Records will be releasing the band's sophomore album, Urgency, which was produced by Joe Blaney (The Clash, Tom Waits, Prince).

mp3: Sacred Cows

Labels:

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't know man. I kind of like this Sacred Cows song. I heard this on the radio where I live in Albany. Its much better than a lot of the shit in alt rock nowadays like Rehab and Puddle of Mud. Sure, its no weird shit like Flobots. But frankly sounding like Michael Hutchence and being catchy and accessible isn't a bad thing in my book. And not everyone needs to sound like the Rocanteurs either. I checked out their other songs on myspace and its not that bad.

Friday, June 27, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home