Saturday, March 08, 2008

Say Hi at the Black Cat


After my long departure from the DC music scene, while away at college, I made my way back to Black Cat to see Caverns and Say Hi Tuesday night. On a high from watching Champions League Soccer all day, I grabbed a beer and prepared for some great music.

Caverns was the opening band and I was fairly familiar with their music from listening to it on MySpace. After going to the mellow Federal Reserve show the previous night, I wasn't quite prepared for the high energy metal explosion they were about to unleash, but I knew it was going to be electrifying. The guys brought the energy from the beginning and did not let up until the finale. The best part, was that along with the music, they had a light show that was put on by one of the members. It really added to the overall appeal of the show. However, because of the light show, I could not get any pictures. I did manage to get two videos instead.












Next up was Say Hi. I was less familiar with these guys, even though they were the main act. You could see that the crowd was a different mixture as well. It had been a long time since I was surrounded by underage hipsters, but as I was front row, it didn't turn out too bad.

I am a pretty big fan of bands from the Northwest and Say Hi was no exception. The duo stepped up and played a really great set. In between songs, the lead singer would address the crowd with a big smile on his face. He told us that we were one of the best turnouts for a weeknight that they had ever had. We also learned that the band had apparently been heckled pretty hard in Philadelphia the night before (what's up with that, Philly fans?), but that we had made them feel extremely welcome. The band didn't have an encore and just told us the last two songs should be treated as such, which was fine with me, because I'm not a fan of encores either. Overall, it was a great night back in DC.

Say Hi Photos

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Joe said...

You are talking about a city that boos Santa Claus, so I am not exactly shocked.

Saturday, March 08, 2008  
Blogger Michael said...

First the sports fans, now concert goers. This town is angry for some reason.

Sunday, March 09, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home