Friday, February 29, 2008

The Terrordactyls Are Anyone Else But You


Well, The Terrordactyls seem to have figured out how to jump to the top of the whole Twee genre. When in doubt, hitch your wagon to the biggest star in the game. This duo, comprised of Michael Cadiz and Tyrel Stendahl, recently put out their eponymous debut featuring the wonderful track, "Devices," with none other than Kimya Dawson of the Moldy Peaches and, I suppose, Juno soundtrack fame. Now, I've been a fan of Ms. Dawson ever since I first heard the Murderball soundtrack, but I was unsure of my stance on that whole lo-fi, twee thing. Well, if The Terrordactyls are any indication, I suppose I'm going to have to say that I'm a fan. Implementing such instrumental mainstays as kazoo and toy piano, the boys put out an upbeat, enjoyable sound that, quite frankly, gets my toes tappin'. Think getting into a room with a bunch of English majors who had garage bands in college, with a lot of pot thrown in for good measure. Or maybe I'm just projecting.

The Terrordactyls are getting ready to put out the Mike Bowers EP, five cover songs of Seattle's The Pharmacy. The boys look to be heading to the area in late March, but haven't settled on venues yet. Keep an eye on their calendar on myspace for more details. In the meantime, here are a couple of tracks to check out.

Devices
Fall

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home