Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Putting Pork Fat in Your Earhole


First, my credentials, lest you gentle readers assume I'm completely out of my mind. I saw Tupac when we was a back-up dancer/singer for Digital Underground, Slick Rick before he went to jail, Professor Griff prior to his fall out with Public Enemy and Heavy D when he still had all his Boyz.

Now, my gripe. Let's face it. For the overwhelming part, rap has sucked (at best) since the early to mid '90s. What once was a genre for self-expression and, quite frankly, good times, has been transformed into an on-going lame joke comprised entirely of misogyny, product placement and violence. With the exception of a nearly microscopic handful of acts, there hasn't been an original or entertaining voice in the game for damn near a decade. For every MF Doom and Talib Kweli, there are literally dozens of poseurs and wanna bes that don't entertain anyone but the most misguided of souls.

Well, I'm delighted to say Kansas City, Missouri is attempting to come to the rescue in the form of the most bizarre, funny and offbeat rap act I've come across in a long, long time. Allow me to introduce you to Bacon Shoe. I believe their bio pretty much sums it up:

"This trio — consisting of an MC (Lethal D) who raps about sex and disease, a hype man ('Toine) who shouts out the number of beers he happens to be holding and calls himself "the cocktopus" (because he's got eight dicks), and a guy in a paramedic suit and mangled dog-head mask (Mr. Ruggles) who cooks bacon on a griddle onstage and distributes it to the crowd — treads the line recklessly between insult and tribute."

Seriously, if including a furry in your act isn't praiseworthy, I simply don't know what is. The lyrics are brilliant nonsense, the flow is tight, the beats are lethal and the message is, well, damned if I know what the message is, but I'm certainly interested in figuring it out.

No tour dates currently are planned for the area, but here's hoping that a little blog love will change that sooner than later.

A New Discovery Shed

Labels:

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the praise my man! Just for you, we'll be at Room 710 on Red River on Thursday, March 13th from 1PM to 6PM for the Anodyne Records day party and the Firehouse Lounge at 6th and Brazos on Friday, March 14th at 7:00PM.

Polar Bear Dick.
'Toine

Wednesday, February 27, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

is that in DC?

nvm, i just googled. SXSW.

Wednesday, February 27, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Damn. I'm not sure why I thought this was an Austin based blog. Shame on me. We'll gladly play DC any time, we just don't have any booking contacts up there yet.

If someone can make the gig happen, we'll do our best! For sure!

Polie Berry,
'Toine

Wednesday, February 27, 2008  
Blogger CD said...

DC9 and The Red and The Black seem to have pretty liberal booking policies.

Thursday, February 28, 2008  
Blogger Joe said...

The Velvet Lounge would be my first place to try. If not, probably The Red and The Black.

Thursday, February 28, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home