Wednesday, January 02, 2008

Chris' 2007 In Review

Keeping with tradition, it's time for my favorite albums and EPs of 2007. This list is culled from every album I listened to this year and the ones I liked the most are represented here. If you have followed my mixes for any extended period of time, you should be able to guess most of the albums that will appear on here. Enjoy!

LPs:


Pela - Anytown Graffiti


My favorite release of the year is from one of the greatest bands around. These guys put their heart and soul into every song and it shows on the record that is amazing from start to finish. It got even better after I saw them live this summer and they were some of the nicest guys I've had the chance to meet. Their live show is amazing and it just gives the album that extra polish to solidify it at the number one spot. I look forward to the next album and seeing them live once again.

Waiting On The Stairs
Song Writes Itself


SOFT - Gone Faded


This is an album that I was introduced to by Joe in early fall and I have not stopped listening to it since. The band worked on it for a long time and it really shows. Their synth rock sound is perfect on just about every song.

Ten Times Strong
Droppin'




This release really compliments the band's name well. A heart pounding electronic thrill ride is really the only way to describe an the album that has you dancing from the first beat to the final clash of sound. I saw these guys briefly when they opened for !!! and was blown away. This album is the best electronic album released all year, hands down.

Royal Gregory
The Pulse


Animal Collective - Strawberry Jam


Baltimore's Animal Collective is the first of the regional bands to find their way on to my list. Strawberry Jam gets better and better with every listen and puts these guys at the top of my list for Baltimore/DC bands this year. They traveled all over the world and one of the members, Panda Bear, even had an amazing solo release. The electronic rock sounds that these guys put out are just mind blowing.

Winter Wonderland
Peacebone

AVEC - Lines


Another local band that really put themselves on the map (in my eyes at least) is AVEC. This album really encapsulates what it means to rock. Brooks and company are really making some great music up in Baltimore and this is one of my favorite rock releases. It is hard not to feel the emotion put forth in the release.

Dysplasia
In Character

Wu-Tang Clan - 8 Diagrams


This CD barely made it into 2007, but it got in right before the end. Although the group itself isn't as thrilled with the direction RZA took with the release, I find myself enjoying it almost as much as 36 Chambers. There were some great tributes to their fallen comrade ODB and just solid hip hop overall. Not following the trend of making "club hits," Wu Tang just makes some great rap for all to enjoy.






Underworld - Oblivion With Bells


Another group that has waited a long time for another release, Underworld makes up for it with this one. I didn't even realize these guys had been back in the studio until I read on Pitchfork that they were working on an album and I was excited waiting for it to come to fruition. Reminding me of their previous album Beaucoup Fish, this release just cements them as one of my favorite bands of all time. Here's hoping we don't have to wait as long for the next album.

Crocodile
Beautiful Burnout

Radiohead - In Rainbows


The third in a string of bands waiting a long time to put out their albums, Radiohead storms back with an album that shows they are just as talented as ever. With songs that had been previous released on solo albums or on singles in Japan, In Rainbows goes to show that Radiohead is one of the best bands on the planet right now.

Reckoner
House of Cards

Beirut - The Flying Club Cup


Zach Condon cannot stop making good music. He was born to make music and thankfully, he has accepted this fact and put out songs that are as original as they are nice to listen to. With his solid band backing, the master of Balkan music gives us songs with great lyrics and great sounds. The beautiful ballads are matched perfectly with the drums and strings accompanying them and The Flying Club Cup really shows off what this 21 year old is capable of.

In the Mausoleum
Forks and Knives

Rilo Kiley - Under the Blacklight


After almost breaking up, Rilo Kiley stormed back with their newest release and Jenny Lewis showed why she is such a great vocalist. The album had a subtle seductiveness to it, which made it more endearing overall. The great guitar styling helped back up Jenny's vocals.

Of Montreal - Hissing Fauna, Are You the Destroyer


With one of the earliest releases on this list, Of Montreal proved once again why they are at the top of the indie-pop world. Kevin Barnes is a fantastic musician and proved it with this disc. I got to see these guys early this year and I have to say that it was one of my favorite shows of 2007.

She's A Rejector
Suffer For Fashion


Zulu Pearls - Zulu Pearls


After the band finally got a solid group together this summer, they released their debut, self-titled album. Even thought it is a quick release, the album packs a lot of great music into those songs. Getting to see them play again on New Year's Eve along with The Epochs was a delight as well.

Ways To Wind You Up
Dancing + Drinking


!!! - Myth Takes


!!! are another electronic rock group that does the genre justice. After I became a fan of Ghostland Observatory, I had to seek out all of the other groups that sounded similar. After stumbling upon these guys, I was hooked. They basically have a great rock sound that I can dance to. I saw them at the 9:30 Club and ended up on stage dancing with a few other fans.

Heart Of Hearts
Break In Case Of Anything


Yeasayer - All Hour Symbols


Even though this album came out a few months ago, I only recently had a chance to get my hands on the whole thing. Now that I have it, I really wish that I would have heard it sooner. Mixing African sounds and beats with modern rock and roll works really well for these guys. I really like the direction this band is going in and can't wait to hear their next release.

Sunrise
Waiting for the Summer


Pelican - City of Echoes


Probably the most hardcore rock on this list, Pelican released a perfect album for guitar heads everywhere. The album is metal without words and even has a few mellower songs. I am always a fan of instrumental albums as I usually appreciate the musical aspects of songs more than the singing. I am always surprised at how talented musically some metal bands are, but cannot stand the hardcore singing. Pelican gives me the best of what I want.

City Of Echoes
Winds With Hands


EPs:

Jukebox The Ghost - Jukebox The Ghost


Possibly my favorite release of the year, it's too bad that it wasn't a full length. This is definitely my EP of the year, as all five songs from this DC trio are just remarkable. The scary thing, is that they are even better live. I'm highly anticipating their full length that will be released in late January.

Good Day




I love Tokyo Police Club and everything they put out. This EP was only a short 3 song release, but you can't really fault them when they keep putting out solid music without ever actually having an official debut album. Quick songs, great music, great lyrics and catchy as hell.

Box


Grizzly Bear - Friend EP


Even though there were very few original songs on this album, the remakes and covers more than made up for it. The only label that is really needed for the album is 'great sounding'. I still believe that "Knife" is the most covered song in the indie scene and I love every new version of it.

Knife (Atlas Sound Cover)


WakeThisDay - In The Shadow of Paper Mountains


This is a band that I discovered on MySpace (or rather they discovered me) and couldn't get enough of. It's hard to love everything about a band when they only have a limited amount of songs released and no official album to speak of. I asked them for a demo to preview for the blog and they graciously handed over their demo. They have since released more songs on their page and promised a release for 2008.

Signal Lost

The Airborne Toxic Event - Does This Mean You're Moving On? EP


These LA guys sure are great. Not yet having made their way east other than for CMJ, I see 2008 as a big year for them. Their debut album finally comes out and they will be hitting the road. This EP is also only three songs, but it's a nice appetizer. If you want some pure indie rock and roll, this is the band for you.

Does This Mean You're Moving On?

Middle Distance Runner - Middle Distance Runner EP


I started the EPs with a local band, so of course I had to finish with one. This EP was the first release since 2006's Planes In Flames and evnethough only half of the songs are new, it shows great growth. The songs sound more professional and polished. This has only increased the attraction of a great band putting out good music. They also happen to be some of the funniest and nicest guys in DC. I hope that this EP is a sign of things to come, because I personally am very excited with the direction the band is going.

The Sun and Earth

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Solo albums or singles in Japan--WTF are you talking about?!

Friday, September 07, 2012  

Post a Comment

<< Home