Friday, October 26, 2007

This Week's Releases

There are so many releases this week, it's crazy. We even have EPs and singles to go along with our usual assortment of great LPs. Get ready to spend some time listening to great music and then break out those pocketbooks and get ready to spend some dough.

I must be in an electronic mood these days, because my pick for this week is Holy Fuck's newest apply titled LP. After seeing these guys open for !!! this past summer, I was blown away and instantly tried to find out all I could about them. Their sound is similar to Battles, but they are unique enough to keep the bands pretty separate. With great beats and synth, their songs will be stuck in your head for days. Head over to their MySpace page to stream the entire album.

"Lovely Allen"


Another favorite of mine this week is Soft's Gone Faded. I have featured a song off this album before in my weekly mix, because of how much I really enjoy listening to this album. A band that had been off my radar prior to this album, they have really cemented themselves in my list of great releases this year.

"Dumb Blood"


One of the great singles released this week is by up and coming Vampire Weekend with Mansard Roof. This two song single contains "Mansard Roof" and "Ladies of Cambridge." These guys are making heads turn all over the place and are getting more followers every day as more and more people discover them. Their self-titled debut album should be out in January and this single gives you a little taste of what it's going to be like.

"Mansard Roof (live @ KEXP)"


It seems like plenty of artists that I have featured in my mixes are releasing albums this week and this band is no different. Yeasayer has their debut album out finally, called All Hour Cymbals. A mix of rock and electronic similar to the Animal Collective, this group has been gaining recognition throughout all the indie scenes. These guys were featured on a KEXP live in-studio performance at CMJ last week. They were not selected for a podcast, but give "Sunrise" a listen to see what I mean.

"Sunrise"


This next group is one that I had not heard of before, but I am glad I found them. West Indian Girl has their latest with 4th & Wall. This is a superb album and I can't stop listening to it. The music, the harmonizing voices along with some great lyrics really make this CD amazing. A fun album with a great upbeat sound is really hard to pull yourself away from.

"To Die In LA"


Other notable releases this week:

Ween

La Cucuracha: "Your Party"

Ryan Adams

Follow the Light EP: "Down In A Hole (Live)"

Saturday Looks Good to Me

Fill Up the Room: "Make A Plan"

Black Dice

Load Blown: "Kokomo"

Babyshambles

Shotter's Nation: "Delivery"

The Scotland Yard Gospel Choir

The Scotland Yard Gospel Choir: "Aspidistra"

Phosphorescent

Pride: "A Picture of Our Torn Up Praise"

The Warlocks

Heavy Deavy Skull Lover: "So Paranoid"

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

www.weensucks.com

Monday, December 17, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home