Friday, October 19, 2007

This Week's Releases

After last week, it seems like there couldn't be anything left to release. However, this week doesn't disappoint and gives us some quality music.

My emphatic pick for this week is Underworld's Oblivion with Bells. It's not often that I get to write about one of my favorite artists of all time. Underworld has been a favorite of mine since I first heard Second Toughest In The Infants and they only grew on me as time went on. I currently own every album and after I learned that the band had come back from a 5 year hiatus, I nearly jumped out of my chair with excitement. The album does not disappoint and is one of my favorite CDs of the year. If you are a fan of any type of electronic music, then check these guys out as they were some of the ground breakers of anything electronic.

Ring Road

The Northwest music scene has been hitting it big this year and now have another point to add to the scorecard with The Blakes' new self-titled album. A long time coming, this CD has been much anticipated and now fans everywhere can get their hands on it. After playing some CMJ shows and a live set on KEXP just like Le Loop, these have really made a name for themselves as a bunch of rowdy guys playing great music. Give them a listen and see what you think.

Don't Bother Me

Now to go back in time, we get a couple of great live CDs. First up is The Jimi Hendrix Experience with Live at Monterey. Bust out the drugs and tie-dyed clothes (only kidding) and get ready to travel to a simpler time. I am personally too young to have experienced all the amazing things Jimi Hendrix came up with or did on stage, but I can at least get a hint of it from this CD.

Purple Haze

The second CD is from another group I have been a fan of for a large chunk of my life and that is R.E.M. who's aptly titled live CD is called R.E.M. Live. This CD has also been a long time coming and as a fan who has never seen the band live, this seems like the perfect opportunity to try and imagine what it would be like. I am a fan of live music, both watching it and listening to it; so I am always happy when an artist puts out something like this.

Man On The Moon (from Automatic For the People)

Other great releases this week:

Soulsavers

It's Not How Far You Fall, It's the Way You Land
: "Revival"

Dan Wilson

Free Life: "Baby Doll"

Maritime

Heresy and the Hotel Choir: "For Science Fiction"

Kenna

Make Sure They See My Face: "Say Goodbye To Love"

Dragons of Zynth

Coronation Thieves: "Harlot Blues" (Daytrotter Session)

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Underworld is the BEST!!

Friday, December 07, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home