Saturday, September 29, 2007

This Week's Releases

Stars - credit

This week was hell at school for me, but I still wanted to write about some of the great new releases that came out. This week featured a fair amount of folk/indie rock, but it really had a large amount of good music in general.

Probably the biggest release of the week was from Iron & Wine, with a CD titled The Shepard's Dog. For Sam Beam's newest CD, he went with a full band and a full sound. Getting more popular as the days go on, even my college newspaper reviewed the new release and gave it an A. Beam's beautiful voice paired with some great sounds and lyrics, really is a treat.

Boy With A Coin

Next on our trip of new releases by folk/indie artists, finds us at the new Cave Singers' release Invitation Songs. I really liked the first track I heard from them and I'm sure you will to. This is mellow music with a very unique voice.

Seeds of Night

Devendra Banhart released Smokey Rolls Down Thunder Canyon. Some people have been complaining Banhart's CDs have been too long, or too bloated. I personally am not as familiar as other people with his music, but give "Carmensita" a listen and decide for yourself. The sound is a different flavor than the previous two releases, but it works really well.

Carmensita

Last up on our folk indie tour for the week is a very interesting group and one I find very enjoyable to listen to. Two Gallants newest CD is a self-titled album that sounds a bit different from the previous release What the Toll Tells. That was a hard CD to follow-up, but the band made an admirable attempt.


The Hand That Held Me Down

A band you may have heard about once or twice on this website, DC's Georgie James has finally released their full length on Saddle Creek. Solid as always, Places really puts the band on the national map. Currently on a countrywide tour supporting the album, the band will finish it at the Black Cat on 11/16, so be sure to be there for that one.

Cake Parade

Sweden had two of it's bigger artists drop releases this week. First we have Jose Gonzalez with his new release In Our Nature, which follows up the great release Veneer. A terrific singer/songwriter, Gonzalez gives us another great release that is something that both new and old fans can be happy with.



Love Will Tear Us Apart (Joy Division cover)

Next we have Loney, Dear, who's newest CD isn't really new, but new to the US. After seeing them this summer with The Sea & Cake, I can honestly say that their music is great and any release from them is something worth being listened to.

Saturday Waits

Our next CD has been available on iTunes and other online distributors for a little while, but Stars' newest In Our Bedroom After The War is now out everywhere. I have only personally listened to a couple of songs on the CD, but what I've heard it sounds like a really solid release. One of my friends is in love with the album and I trust him, as he has introduced me to more great bands than I can count. Give the CD a listen and judge yourself.

The Night Starts Here

A group I discovered this week, The GoStation have a release that needs to be listened to titled Passion Before Function. I am always a fan of indie bands that rock hard, but still keep a full sound in their music and these guys do exactly that. Give "All Together Now" a listen to see what I mean and find a new band that I'm sure most of you have never heard of, but will enjoy listening to.

All Together Now

Another group I just discovered after hearing about their release, Athlete released Beyond the Neighborhood. This band isn't anything you haven't heard before, but they are still a solid indie band with a good release that deserves consideration.

Airport Disco

There were so many releases this week, that I'll leave you with songs from some of the others...

Eskimo Joe - New York
Matt Pond PA - Taught To Look
Office - Wound Up
Sea Wolf - Black Dirt
The Weakerthans - Night Windows
Tuung - Bullets
Via Audio - We Can Be Good

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home