Wednesday, July 18, 2007

This Week's Releases

Editor's Note: This is the first post from our new DC reporter, Chris. He will be covering anything and everything. Live shows, CD reviews, mixes... they are all in play. You will definitely be seeing him around town. Please join me in welcoming him to IA.

Some huge releases dropped last week. We saw new offerings from Interpol, Spoon, BOAT, Justice, Ra Ra Riot and The Smashing Pumpkins. The one thing that I noticed, was that the list was very US heavy. This week also saw several big name releases and this time, the UK flexed some muscle.


The first big release is from Editors, with their sophomore disc An End Has A Start. I have listened to this CD a couple of times so far and I highly recommend it. They built upon all that they learned from the first release and this one sounds like a more upbeat Boxer from The National, with the same amount of emotion and great lyrics packed into it.

For those of you who like to dance, The Chemical Brothers finally dropped their new album We Are The Night. I haven't heard the whole CD yet, but the few songs that I have listened to have been amazing.

Our third UK band may not have as big of a following as the other two, but definitely brings it in their new release. The Cribs break out with Men's Needs, Women's Needs, Whatever. The first single "Men's Needs", is a hard hitting, energy packed song that will have you rocking out after the first verse. I also had a chance to listen to "Women's Needs" today and although not as fast paced, the song also has great hit potential.

For our hip-hop fans out there, M.I.A. releases her first single off of her newest CD KALA, called "Boyz." M.I.A. is from Sri Lanka and takes a different approach to hip-hop than most artists from here in the states, in that she mixes a good amount of dance beats into her music. She draws her beats from all around the world, making her songs some of the most invigorating and unique experiences you have heard from a hip-hop artist.

For a full list of all of the notable releases out there, check out this list. There should be something for everyone this week and a lot of things for those of you that are like me and like music from all genres.

I also want to recommend a CD that I discovered yesterday, called How It Ends from DeVotchKa. Check out "Enemy Guns" to get a good idea of what they are like. Their music and vocals are simply amazing and like M.I.A,. they take their musical inspirations from many different places, yet have huge ties to Eastern Europe and gypsy type music.

That should do it for my first post, but you will see much more from me in the coming weeks. For now, I will leave you with some mp3s.

Editors - Smokers Outside The Hospital Doors
Editors - An End Has A Start
The Chemical Brothers - All Rights Reserved (ft. Klaxons)
The Cribs - Men's Needs
The Cribs - Women's Needs
M.I.A. - Boyz (Kimino Kops Mix)
DeVotchKa - The Enemy Guns
DeVotchKa - How It Ends

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home