Tuesday, July 31, 2007

The Hailing - Galaxy Hut - 7/14

For their the third gig at Galaxy Hut, The Hailing were poised to take Arlington by storm. The bar quickly filled up an hour before anyone was even going on and the excitement for the band was building with every moment. Once everyone got things set up, the show got started with Slumber opening.


I have been friends with Slumber since high school and I personally think he will be as big as Dylan some day. His talent is surpassed by his modesty and I hope that he will believe me one of these days. This was Slumber's first bar gig and the crowd was stoked to see what this guy and his band could do. He blew us all away.

I had seen him a few weeks earlier at a friendly gathering and was amazed. It was the first time that I had seen him with a band and with some of the songs, I could close my eyes and be transported to the 930 Club or Black Cat. He was that good. The guys must have practiced even more for this show, as they had improved greatly.

Slumber, accompanied by Hinges and the band for the first half of the set, played many fan favorites such as "I'll Be Your Friend" and "Wine." The folk roots along with some great fast paced guitar work, really made for a enjoyable and unique listening experience. At the end of the set, the band played a combined 2 song piece with amazing solos connecting the two separate songs. The crowd went crazy when the set was over and my views of how famous this guy will be some day, were reinforced tenfold.

After a short break, it was time for The Hailing to come on. These guys can play like there's no tomorrow and they make you feel like time stands still while you watch them. I was pretty excited to see them again. I haven't had the chance to see them since the beginning of the summer, where I was completely captivated. After a little set up, they got started and had the crowd cheering and dancing by the time the first song ended. Many favorites were played such as "Photograph" and "Rose Family," which is my personal favorite.

You could really hear the DC influences and the impression that Inner Ear has on them. They record under the label Parlor Press Records. These guys really blow you away with their amazing musical talents and are one of the best bands to see live.

Both Slumber and The Hailing are finishing up work on CDs and I am really excited to hear the final products. You can also catch these guys live on the 11th in Arlington at a free show with very special guests. I will have info on that, as well as an interview with The Hailing in future posts.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home