Friday, April 27, 2007

The Friday Rant: The Sissification of "Punk"

I was a bit of a late bloomer when it came to my introduction and subsequent love affair with punk rock. I was in my late teens, and at that time, my musical tastes leaned towards Top 40 and rap. I was a child of the 80's and I worshipped a lot of the New Wave music of that era, as well as what is now known as old school rap. One of my best friends was a punk aficionado and after months of trying, he finally got me to cave in and listen to some tracks by bands such as The Dead Kennedys, Black Flag and The Business - among others. Needless to say, I was hooked. Most of the songs were simply constructed, had an incredible energy about them and most echoed my sentiments on life, the universe, the establishment and just about everything. My decade-long tryst with radio was abruptly ended and I went on a CD buying spree that dominated my finances for years. After attending my first couple of punk shows, I got hooked on bands such as Sick Of It All, Black Train Jack, Social Distortion, NOFX, Spring Heeled Jack and The Dropkick Murphys. These bands, while falling under the "punk" moniker, were all very diverse in both sound and content. Punk sub-genres represented were ska, NYC hardcore, rockabilly and others. All of these bands had something to say, from Sick Of It All eschewing society's ills in tracks such as "Potential For a Fall" and "Scratch the Surface" to Social Distortion's laments about dealing with issues of self in the face of today's society in tracks such as "Story Of My Life" and "I Was Wrong". These songs struck a chord in me. Most of the music I was listening to at the time didn't speak to me like these bands did. I felt a connection to the music, to the bands, to the meanings behind many of the songs.


Flash forward to today. A quick genre search on an otherwise reliable music-buying website under "hardcore and punk" spits out the following bands at the top of the list: Good Charlotte, Fall Out Boy, Relient K and My Chemical Romance. Slightly further down the list are Dashboard Confessional, the All American Rejects and Modest Mouse. What in the name of Mike Ness is going on here? I had to see if other sites were using the same categorical standards, so I went surfing. Lo and behold, sites two and three had very similar search results. Perhaps in my rapidly advancing age, I had missed some new definition of what punk rock is supposed to be.


Wikipedia describes punk rock as such:


Punk rock is an anti-establishment rock music genre and movement that emerged in the mid-1970s. Preceded by a variety of protopunk music of the 1960s and early 1970s, punk rock developed between 1974 and 1977 in the United States, the United Kingdom, and Australia, where groups such as The Ramones, The Sex Pistols, and The Clash were recognized as the vanguard of a new musical movement. Punk bands, eschewing the perceived excesses of mainstream 1970s rock, created short, fast, hard music, with stripped-down instrumentation and often political or nihilistic lyrics. The associated punk subculture expresses youthful rebellion, distinctive clothing styles, a variety of anti-authoritarian ideologies, and a DIY (do it yourself) attitude.

I cannot say that I have spent a great deal of time studying the catalogs of the bands listed in the second paragraph. The songs that I have heard are usually very well produced. They tend to be somewhat whiny, but from what I have seen and read, the emotionally charged songs (which usually have something to do with a relationship going badly) seem to resonate with their audiences. Most of these bands are considered "emo", which is apparently short for "emotional". It is true that many of the songs I sampled were indeed emotional, but I am sorry to report that there is very little in these songs that I can call "punk".

I generally loathe society's need to classify everything - especially music. However, if you are going to do something, it should be done right. What is punk about "emo" bands? What is punk about singing song after song about girls that were mean to you and relationships that didn't work out? What is punk about wearing eyeliner and please God tell me, what is punk about squeezing into women's jeans? I swear I read something in Rolling Stone a year or so ago about prominent Warped Tour bands taking off together on tour stops on the hunt for women's jeans. These are the bands that are being labeled punk? You have got to be kidding me.

I met Sick Of It All lead singer Lou Koller backstage at a Bosstones show at the Bowery Ballroom some years ago. He told a group of us about the band's impending falling out with its major-label record company. Koller said a record company honcho wanted the band to be more "melodic". His response to the record company: "Our music is not and has never been about melody. It's about ENERGY". Shortly thereafter, Sick Of It All signed with Fat Wreck Chords - an independent label based out of San Francisco. Now THAT is what punk rock is about. Non-conformity and a refusal to water down your message.

I can already hear the cries from emo fans who will take umbrage with my assertion that their heroes are not punk rockers. To prove my point, I challenge any of you who doubt my reasoning to take a punk rock "taste test". Take any three tracks from your favorite emo bands and listen to them all in a row. Then download and listen to the following three tracks (provided herein for your listening pleasure): Leftover Crack's "Born To Die", Sick Of It All's "Potential For a Fall" and The Dropkick Murphy's "Never Alone" (these are the first three songs that come to mind and there are scores of others that would work for this test). Are you still going to tell me that the first three tracks represent punk rock? The bands I named in the second paragraph are very talented. Their songs are catchy, they create an emotional bond with their core audience and they are doing very well for themselves. But they are NOT punk bands. Some of them may have started out as punk bands, but today they are power-pop acts. There is nothing "punk" about them. Sorry, but wearing guy-liner and squeezing oneself into girls' jeans sizes doesn't make you anti-establishment. You may be a fashion trendsetter, but you are not punk.

I would also like to take issue with the term "emo". First of all, I can completely understand why so many people are drawn to "emo" bands. The songs are introspective, albeit often depressing. Many of these bands give a voice to what troubled kids around the world are feeling on a regular basis. However, do try to tell me how this genre of whiny introspection gets to lay claim to "emotional" punk. Are the songs of Social Distortion, Sick Of It All, Leftover Crack not emotional? Perhaps we need to find another moniker to group these bands under. Perhaps "depresso", "whino" or "slitmywristo". Ok, so it needs work...

To take this matter a step further, these "emo" bands have been embraced by MTV (how they can still call themselves music television, is another story) and mainstream radio. There is absolutely nothing punk about that. Punk is all about the underground and being under the radar. These guys and their fans are seen as fashion trendsetters. Their albums usually chart high with Billboard and there is generally little struggle involved.

Let me be clear on this. I do not hate Emo. It's a genre that has a huge following and I respect that. All I want, and I may be nitpicking, is a proper delineation of what is and what isn't punk. My days of going to shows and hitting the pits or skanking the night away are pretty much behind me. But even old guys like me are allowed to carry a torch for an old love - and defend its honor.

Dead Kennedys- I Fought The Law
Dropkick Murphys - Never Alone
Leftover Crack - Burn To Die
Leftover Crack - Burn Them Prisons
Operation Ivy - Knowledge
Ramones - Blitzkrieg Bop
Rancid - Roots Radicals
Sick Of It All - Potential For A Fall
Social Distortion - Story Of My Life

Labels:

15 Comments:

Blogger Aya Amurjuev said...

Incredibly well put. I agree with everything you said here. I'll never forget my moment of epiphany when I first realized that Green Day is not punk :) Thanks for the great tracks too!

Sunday, April 29, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

punk is out there, u just need to look harder, if it's on the radio, it ain't punk.

Sunday, April 29, 2007  
Blogger slinky said...

not only is emo an insult to punk rock, it's also an insult to bands like U2 who were doing "emo" in the early eighties.

my favorite punk album is Naked Raygun's "Throb Throb". check it out if you're not familiar with it.

Sunday, April 29, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree completely...many of the bands you mentioned are much better classified as powerpop, and contrary to some people's opinions, that in no way changes the quality of their music. It is still the same music whether no matter what people call it.

I also think "emo" is a completely overused blanket term that really doesn't accurately describe a musical genre very well.

But that's just my opinion.

Sunday, April 29, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Many of the bands labeled emo (or at least the first wave of emo) had punk roots. Rites of Spring, Sunny Day Real Estate, Jawbreaker all come to mind. But today what is known as emo is simply pop-rock, just like how the term alternative became associated with anything on the rock radio station instead of smooth jazz and classic rock.

Punk is dead--long live punk.

Monday, April 30, 2007  
Blogger Dumbek said...

ummm....doesn't Mike Ness wear tons of eyeliner?

Monday, April 30, 2007  
Blogger Unknown said...

Where these bands should most definitely NOT be labeled "punk", I don't think that they have the right to call themselves power-pop either. When I think power-pop, I think The Undertones, Cheap Trick, The Ramones. It should just be called what it is, LAME. If one needs chose a name, emo it is.

Tuesday, May 01, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I loved your article. This can never be said to many times.

That said I have to make a couple of points.
First, you are not punk because you are underground and you don´t have to be underground to be punk. If that was the criteria then, well, The Ramones are way the hell over ground.
Second, dressing in a feminine way, such as "guy-liner" (fucking brilliant phrase by the way) and skinny jeans doesn´t have to be anti-punk. Again, the Ramones did it (although in their case it had more to do with a heroin addiction than a trust fund) and besides if punk is about non-conforming then dressing like a lady usually does the trick. Punks have been called faggots and worse for a long time, fans of real punk have to be careful not to get lost in the macho stuff - stick together, and all that.

Saturday, May 05, 2007  
Blogger TypicalFashion said...

thank you for this post.

Monday, May 14, 2007  
Blogger Unknown said...

I'd like to thank everyone for posting their thoughts on the tripe I tend to throw out there. It means a lot to me to hear what people think about what I rail on about.

Gypsy, thanks for the kind words. And while the production values are improved on their records - there is still some punk left in Green Day. Glad you liked the tracks!

Slinky, I will check out Naked Raygun quick fast and in a hurry.

I also agree with emo being an overused blanket category. There are tons of music that is emotional - not just whiny relationship rock.

Gavin, I am on board with the "emo" bands having punk roots. The entire genre is credited with having its roots in the DC punk scene. Love the "punk is dead..." signoff!

Dumbek, if Mike Ness does wear eyeliner I don't know what to say, other than sorry. I was partially kidding about the "guy-liner" thing and a lot of the fashion stuff. It's just something else that annoys me. Probably because I am 6'5 and over 250 pounds and would look very silly in eyeliner and women's jeans. I am a jealous man, I tells ya.

John Paul, I agree with you to a point. A lot of the "emo" bands rub people the wrong way, but they have mass followings for a reason. You can consider them "lame", and while I won;t go that far, whether they are lame or not, they are not "punk".

Wow, I wish people would post comments with usernames... I totally agree that some of my rant got lost in "macho stuff". I do not care about an artist's sexual orientation and did not mean to suggest that with my making fun of the women's jeans and makeup. I am sure some of my favorite punk artists are gay. I do not care. I will also agree that there is very little that is more anti-establishment than cross-dressing.

Jon, you are most welcome. I am trying to get myself revved up for posts every week but it can be tough sometimes while chasing down a 20-month-old and a new job. I will try to get my output up a little though, and soon.

Tuesday, May 22, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

punk is hard to categorise, the damned andthe clash both branched out and experimented with other musical styles, but no one could argue they weren't punk, things change with time as do defintions, if things don't change and adapt. Punk was an abusive term in the 60's which was adopted by garage bands, anyway great post and good tunes

Sunday, July 15, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

There are some modern punk bands...

Placebo...all of their albums except "Sleeping With Ghosts" (lead singer is bisexual, and bassist is homosexual)

Muse...glam/punk combination

Iggy Pop...not really modern but he's 60 and still rockin'

Peaches...she's bisexual and wants to be a hermaphodite

Panic! at the Disco...Awesome band

"emo" bands are mostly alternative but they have punk and glam influence.

Sunday, September 23, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

emo = either emotional hardcore
or
emo = a style of dressing for teenagers.

emo is an excuse for narrow minded people to be even more narrow minded and stupid. my main fear is that anything even remotly emotive with even the slightest tinge of punk to it will be shot down in seconds cos of narrow minded scumfucks subscribing to some retarded topical emo bashing saturation from mainstream culture.

emo doesn't exist.

Tuesday, October 02, 2007  
Blogger Andrew Bama said...

Just read another good interview with the Dropkicks here
http://musicnation.musicnation.com/view/blog

It's not as detailed, but there are some cool stories about equipment blowing up.

Tuesday, October 30, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OK. firstly...good article.
But im just here to add an extra opinion...(yes on the whole emo thing! Sorry!)
All of you seem to have a well rounded good knowledge of what punk is and what it stands for and its typical codes and conventions so it would be narrow minded of anybody who is classed as a “punk” or an enjoyer of punk music such as yourselves to be seen to slate emo and its music and the typical codes and conventions of this particular genre because unless you’ve lived as apart of the “emo” phase as you may have for punk in the 70’s you really won’t understand it. just like there are alot of people who lived through punk music, who influenced by that genre would argue with those that didnt understand what it is really about.
For one...punk seemingly (correct me if i am wrong) and punk bands actually called themselves punk bands and werent offended by that...and rightly so...because they were creating their own genre and their own following as such to back up their beliefs and somewhat promote them to their fans...

wheras with emo...the bands have been labelled as this by others (not “emo” fans) as this type of music and the codes and conventions have not been put together by the bands themselves and usually the majority of the time the bands themselves such as My Chemical Romance and Panic at the Disco and whoever else you want to throw into this label HATE BEING CALLED THIS!!...

Basically where i am coming from is occassionally people sport mohawks and safety pins and are automatically labelled punks...but these people get up and get dressed in the morning and put on these clothes...because A) this is what they are comfortable with wearing B) This is hopefully who they feel they are...and they’re probably not just trying to follow the crowd and be submitted to being labelled as something.

It is the same with everyone else....some people wake up in the morning and wear baggy pants and a sweater...some people wear a suit and some people decide to wake up and wear skinny jeans and eyeliner...but who is anyone to judge what anyone else feels comfortable in what they are wearing...if they want to wear that...LET THEM WEAR IT!. They dont need to be subsided and placed into a genre just because of what they wear.

I am personally a fan of my chemical romance (i can feel the sniggers already...but why?) this is the music that I LIKE!!! I also take my tea with 2 sugars!. Everyone is different...some people dont have sugar in their tea...some people dont like tea.

And yes many of the bands labelled emo did have punk roots...but they didnt every try to be punk at all!
When my chem started up they didnt go out and say “we’re going to be emo! or punk” they started out to make music for themselves...and no their music is NOT ALL ABOUT WHINY RELATIONSHIPS!!!!!!!!!. For goodness sake! I wish people would stop saying this about these certain bands.
Anyway...my chemical romance (im using these as an example by the way...) when they were younger listened to black flag, morissey, the smiths, these were their influences... oh and the guitarist of the band is also in a band called LEATHERMOUTH!!! Go look them up...you’d be shocked. Really shocked.
But AFI? Where do AFI stand in this? Afi are 90’s punk aren’t they? But now they wear skinny jeans and eyeliner etc? . What is the argument here...
So reflecting on what i have written...
PUNK IS PUNK.
EMO IS EMO.
DONT COMPARE THE TWO.
Dont critisice either one. It is your choice what you listen to. And what you wear. And it is not for others to judge. So dont judge it. And if you do...be analytical...not biased and insulting. Infact...im just going to be argued against for posting this...wheras thats not what i wanted...
But thanks for the article. I'll be quoting it in my uni essay for genre conventions...its good.

Sunday, December 02, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home