Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Not So New Release Tuesday: Fear


Everyone has those albums that made them evaluate where they were musically and shaped where they are today. Toad The Wet Sprocket's Fear is one of those albums for me. It was the early 90's and I was stuck somewhere between Rap and R&B. Then I heard Toad and everything changed. All of a sudden, I realized that there was music out there that actually spoke to me. It understood where I was, where I had been and where I wanted to go. It was a like a giant neon sign flashing in front of me... "Joe, listen to college radio, R&B sucks." I think you pretty much know the rest of the story.

The song selections for this one were kind of hard to make. I had to include All I Want, because it played such an integral part in my musical transformation. Walk on the Ocean is one of those calssics that always makes you sing when you hear it on the radio, even if you don't want to. I Will Not Take These Things For Granted was on every mixtape for like 5 years. I could have gone in a number of directions for the last pick. I decided to go with Stories I Tell, because I feel that it is still a pretty powerful song. This is just a great album.

Walk On The Ocean
All I Want
Stories I Tell
I Will Not Take These Things For Granted

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Aya Amurjuev said...

God bless you sir, you're brilliant!

Tuesday, November 21, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great choice! An amazing album.

Wednesday, November 22, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was in my mid-30's when this came out. I loved music in the 70s but with few exceptions I didn't like most of what was out in the 80s. This album (cassette tape) was a God-send. I now mostly listen to music from the 90s.

Wednesday, February 28, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home