Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Forget Cassettes

There is a band that I want to tell everyone about. Their name is Forget Cassettes and they hail from Nashville. Before I begin, you can go ahead and wipe out any preconceived notions that you may have about Nashville music and the attractive woman in the picture below. This band is anything but country and she is anything but a cute little girl.


Now I am not big of album reviews, I find them kind of rote and boring; but a good album needs to be talked about. Yesterday, they released Salt and it is killer. I will say that this is not an album that most people will sit down and love from the first note. It takes time to grow on you, but if you let it; Beth Cameron's voice will take over your soul. When you first hear it on "Venison" it sounds kind of subdued and a little wobbly, but it is a trap. You underestimate her and that is a mistake or maybe it is exactly what she wants. Seconds later, the power comes out and you are blown away. As the album continues and her and the band keep switching from loud to soft, a light eventually kicks in and you become enchanted. By the end of "Tabula Rosa" you are left breathless, wondering what the hell just happened to you. She is also a good singer and their rhythm section is solid. If I was held at gunpoint and forced to give you a starting point for their sound, I would have to say that PJ Harvey is a decent place to begin. In the end, listen to them and form your own opinion. I understand that not everybody is going to dig them, but give it a shot. You may be surprised.

I am intrigued by the thought of seeing them live. It looks like I just may get my chance. They will be in Baltimore on August 31, which is ironically the day before I leave on vacation. I can't wait. In the interim, check out some samples below.

Forget Cassettes - Venison
Forget Cassettes - Quiero, Quieres
Forget Cassettes - Lonely Does It (follow link)

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home